Sure, tossing that bag of oozing buttery popcorn into your microwave and letting it turn is awfully easy. But is it really that much easier than popping your own kernels and seasoning them your way?
The answer is, definitely not- and the popcorn you make yourself is bound to be just a bit more natural and a bit more healthy than what comes out of that blue and yellow box.
- Medium saucepan with lid
- Large bowl
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preferred seasoning (i.e. kosher salt, white cheddar powder, butter, you name it)
Follow these steps:
- Pour extra virgin olive oil into your sauce pan and tilt the sauce pan so the oil covers the whole bottom (use more or less depending on the size of the pan).
- Drop 3-4 kernels into the pan and then cover with a lid.
- Set your stove on medium-high heat.
- Wait for 3-4 kernels to pop fully, then pour all kernels in and re-cover with lid.
- Keeping saucepan over the heat, slide or shake pan back and forth to ensure that kernels are moving while being heated and not burning.
- After kernels have stopped popping madly, take pan off heat and pour popped kernels into large bowl.
- Dash popcorn with extra virgin olive oil to get preferred seasonings to stick and then pour in preferred seasoning.
- Get the movie ready: it’s omnom time.
Become the Master Popper
If you don’t make the popcorn perfectly at first, never fear- it may take a couple of tries to master the finesse needed to get all of them to pop without burning any of them. Regardless, you’ll find it infinitely more satisfying to pop your own kernels than to wait for your microwave to do it for you. And you get the added bonus of deciding exactly what goes on them, whether you do one seasoning for one person or one for another. Munch down on your own homemade treats this blustery movie-going season with ease.