Don’t believe the lie that you can only get these scrumdiddlyumptious treats at an overpriced candy store. They might not even have the dark chocolate ones, which you and I both know are really the best. Even if you do buy these from the local candy shoppe, you’re probably consuming more bad things for you than good. With this simple and delectable recipe, get the natural goodness of gummy bears combined with the decadent richness of fine dark chocolate without any of the guilt or expenditure.
- 1 gummy bear silicone mold
- 1 baking sheet
- Wax paper
- 1 saucepan
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- Fruit Flavoring: Orange bears – 1 cup of orange juice; Strawberry bears – 2/3 cup pureed strawberries and 1/3 cup water; Blueberry bears – 2/3 cup pureed blueberries and 1/3 cup water
- 1 saucepan or bowl
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon shortening
- Combine lemon juice, honey, and fruit flavoring in a saucepan over medium heat on the stove and stir.
- Whisk gelatin into the mixture and stir, heating until all ingredients are combined and gelatin is melted.
- Pour mixture into gummy bear silicone mold and put in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet with wax paper on it.
- Stir shortening and chocolate chips together and melt over a stove or in a microwave until smooth.
- Wait for the chocolate mixture to cool slightly, then dip 1 cup’s worth of solidified gummy bears into it one by one.
- Set chocolate covered gummy bears onto the wax paper on the baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Take out and enjoy.
Never pay too much for overly-sugary chocolate covered gummy bears again with this recipe. You can even use these gummy bears as gifts or treats, such as with wedding party presents or stocking stuffers. Change up the fruit flavoring and experiment with different juices and purees. If you really wanted to, you could make vegetable puree gummy bears, but no one expects you to get that…innovative. Grab your gummy bear mold and get going!